A Handy List for Expectant Parents – A lot of the items you see below are optional. I would recommend that you buy items on an as needed basis.
List of Items Needed
- A few disposable breast pads
- Nursing bras – 1-cup size bigger than the size in the ninth month- (Most recommended Medela bras available at Gap).
- Breast Ointment/ Soothing hot/cold breast compress pads
- Breast pump and its accessories (optional) - Insurance providers now cover this so check with yours before you buy.
- Bottle warmer (optional)
- Bottle sterilizer (optional)
- Bottle brush(optional)
- Bottles with nipples (various sizes) (optional)
- Nursing pillow- Recommend- Boppy
- Crib – a safe and comfortable place for the baby to sleep, till age 3-4. (optional for parents that co-sleep)
- Crib mattress and waterproof cover
- Crib sheets (2-3) – soft, fitted sheets that stay safely tucked around the mattress - cotton.
- Crib bumper – helps prevent head bumps and helps arms and legs from being caught between the slabs/slats.
- Changing pad and Changing pad cover
- Receiving blankets (2-5) – for keeping baby warm, and to protect from sun and wind.
- Baby monitor – Audio/Video- helps you keep a tab on the baby from wherever in the apartment.
- Towels and washcloths (3-5) – perfectly sized and soft against the baby’s delicate skin.
- Waterproof liners
- Instrument to check the temperature of the room – keep at 70 degrees.
Baby Clothing (should be mostly front-open) Need to be pre-washed in fragrance-free detergent
- Undershirts – remember to get the ones that are front-open as less strain on baby’s neck.
- Stretchy sleepers
- Burp cloths/bibs
- Diapers – stock up on these – as newborns go up to 10-12 diapers a day. (Infant size)/cloth diapers.
- Cleaning wipes and creams – to cleanse, moisturize and protect the baby’s diaper area. (Wipes holder/warmer
- Diaper disposal bin with liners
- Snap-bottom T-shirts
- Sleeping Outfits/onesies
Baby Comfort/Play Items
- Play gym, mat
- Bouncer seat/kick and play bouncer- Fisher Price Newborn to Toddler Rocker
- Suzzler/Head support for car seat
- Stroller and Car seat toys
- Rain Sheet and Net cover for stroller
- Pacifiers and Pacifier holders
- Digital thermometer
- Mobile for crib and stroller
- Musical toys
- Toys basket /chest
- Bath Tub with Infant support
- Towels /hooded
- Nail clipper
- Soft hair comb/brush
- Cotton pads/swabs
- Diaper rash ointment – zinc oxide
- Baby shampoo
- Baby body wash- Doctor recommended using Dove for the first month
- Baby oil for massage/ baby lotion
- Rubbing alcohol
- Mild soap for baby’s laundry
- White petroleum jelly
- Sterile cotton
- Nail cutting scissors/emery board
- Diaper Pail
Traveling with the Baby
- Stroller (with full recline) - We love Maclaren Quest
- Infant car seat - Fav brands include Graco 4Ever, Britax Marathon
- Sling or soft carrier- Recommend- Ergo Baby Carrier. I bought several brands before the Ergo and have found it to most useful amongst all.